WSBC 2021: Amendments and Motions for Your Consideration
World Service Business Conference 2021 will be held April 21–24 at Embassy Suites Albuquerque Hotel and Spa. This year’s theme is “Looking to the Future: One Day at a Time,” which is always appropriate in recovery and particularly so as we push through the uncertain times the Fellowship has experienced over the past year.
Information for Delegates
WSBC will again offer the workshop, “All about Conference,” which will include a primer on parliamentary procedure, and we will host “Meet the Maker” on Wednesday, April 21, where delegates can discuss and ask questions about New Business Motions and Bylaws Amendments with the makers of those Motions.
At this time, Conference is scheduled as a face-to-face event. The Conference Planning Committee is looking into a hybrid or possibly a fully virtual event if pandemic restrictions are still in place. As we like to say, “more will be revealed.”
New Business Motions and Bylaws Amendments
The Second Conference e-Documents were posted to the WSBC web page on January 11 and include delegate registration forms, general information, and the Agenda Questionnaire, plus the New Business Motions and Bylaws Amendments that were submitted by the December 10 postmarked deadline. The Agenda Questionnaire is available as a downloadable PDF, or service bodies can use the interactive survey link available on the WSBC web page. Proposed Motions and Amendments aim to:
- Amend the Statement on Abstinence and Recovery policy to revert back to the 2018 policy.
- Amend the Statement on Abstinence and Recovery policy to allow revisions to occur in years that end in zero.
- Amend the Statement on Abstinence and Recovery policy to revise the recovery statement.
- Amend the OA events policy to define event weekends.
- Amend the OA Preamble to include “compulsive food behaviors.”
- Create a diverse voices policy when developing new and updating literature.
- Change the name of the Young Persons’ Committee to the Young Peoples’ Committee.
- Amend the Unity with Diversity policy in simpler terms.
- Amend the hybrid meetings policy to include a more detailed definition.
- Create special focus service boards.
- Amend meetings of voting delegates to require the board to vote last.
- Amend the Board of Trustees terms of office to allow trustees to serve no more than eight years total.
- Amend the region composition (housekeeping).
- Amend meetings of delegates (housekeeping).
- Amend meetings of delegates to allow for a virtual Conference, if necessary.
- Amend the Board of Trustees composition to institute the new board restructuring plan.
- Amend the Board of Trustees qualifications to institute the new board restructuring plan.
- Amend the Board of Trustees nominations to institute the new board restructuring plan.
- Combine intergroups, service boards, and regions into one section of the bylaws.
- Amend Overeaters Anonymous groups to specify hybrid meetings.
- Amend gender references in the Twelve Steps.
- Amend gender references in the Twelve Traditions.
- Amend the meetings of delegates to allow for fair representation at WSBC.
Complete the Agenda Questionnaire
Intergroups and service boards should review the Agenda Questionnaire, vote on it, and either return it or complete the interactive survey to the WSO by February 18, 2021. This is a postmarked deadline date.
Use the drop-down menu above to read the other stories in this issue.