Third Quarter 2021 Issue — published June 15, 2021
WSBC 2021: A+ for Attendance and Finishing the Agenda
Our first-ever fully virtual Conference was a success! At final count, 248 delegates from around the world gathered online from April 18–24 for OA’s 60th annual World Service Business Conference (WSBC). Twenty-one countries were represented: Australia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Iran, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Mexico, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Spain, the United Kingdom (represented by England and Scotland), and the United States.
Trustees were elected to the following positions:
- Region Three (three-year term): Neva S.
- Region Six (three-year term): Beth B.
- Virtual Region (three-year term): Dora P.
- General Service (three-year term): Judy H.
- General Service (three-year term): CJ M.
The three-year Region Nine trustee position was declared vacant, and Vasiliki T. was appointed by the board in April as Region Nine trustee to serve through WSBC 2022.
In addition, a one-year general service trustee position was declared vacant, and the board saw one general service trustee and the Region Two trustee resign from the board effective May 1, 2021. As a result, the board requested applications for the Region Two position and two general service trustee positions. Anne O. was appointed to the Region Two trustee position. Bob L. and Sandra M. were appointed to the two general service trustee positions. All appointments will serve through WSBC 2022.
Board Officers and Chairs
On April 25, 2021, board officers were elected by the Board of Trustees and trustee committee chairs were appointed by the board officers.
- Chair: Judy H.
- First Vice Chair: Karen B.
- Second Vice Chair: CJ M.
- Treasurer: Meg M.
Board Committee Chairs
- Board-approved Literature: Andi S.
- BRM Review: CJ M.
- Conference Planning: Margie G.
- Convention 2021: Andi S.
- Delegate Support Fund: Meg M.
- Internal Information: Tina C.
- International Publications/Translations: Vasiliki T.
- Literature Review: Neva S.
- Professional Tradeshows/Public Awareness: Meg M.
- Strategic Planning: Karen B.
- Website Review: Letitia M.
- Ad Hoc WSBC Translations: Dora P.
- Ad Hoc Liaison to Unaffiliated Language Service Boards and Special Focus Service Boards: Andi S.
- Ad Hoc Restructuring: Letitia M.
Conference Committee Board Cochairs
- Bylaws: Karen B.
- Conference-approved Literature: Neva S.
- Public Information/Professional Outreach: Meg M.
- Region Chairs: CJ M.
- Twelfth Step Within: Barb K.
- Unity with Diversity: Beth B.
- Young People’s: BJ J.
The delegates adopted the following literature motions:
- Conference Seal of Approval for The Tools of Recovery
- Conference Seal of Approval for A New Plan of Eating: A Physical, Emotional, and Spiritual Journey
- Conference Seal of Approval for Voices of Recovery, Second Edition
Read more about these literature proposals on page five of this issue of A Step Ahead.
WSBC sailed through the business agenda thanks to the diligent work and cooperation among delegates, the WSBC Planning Committee, and WSO staff. As a result, all agenda items were addressed, and the delegates adopted the following policy motions and bylaw amendments:
- Amended OA’s Abstinence and Recovery Policy
- Revised OA event dates to expand event weekends to include Fridays
- Created a Diverse Voices Policy
- Renamed the Young Persons’ Committee to Young People’s Committee
- Amended the “Unity with Diversity” Policy
- Amended the hybrid meeting definition
- Amended Article VII, Section 2 (housekeeping revision)
- Amended Article X, Section 1 to allow for a virtual Conference option during an emergency
- Amended Article X, Section 3 (housekeeping revision)
- Amended Article V, Section 2 to include “hybrid” in the group composition
- Amended Article X, Section 3 to define delegate qualifications and selection for language service boards
- Amended Articles VI, VII, VIII to combine intergroups, service boards, and regions under one section titled “Service Bodies”
That’s a Wrap!
The WSBC 2021 Final Conference Report will be posted to oa.org in June. Delegates and service bodies will be notified via email. A list of delegate names and contact information will be emailed directly to delegates.
For information on Conference voting results, read the 2021 Wrap Up Report, available on oa.org in the Document Library under category “WSBC: Frequently Used Documents.”
Use the drop-down menu above to read the other stories in this issue.