Strong Abstinence Checklist
“Abstinence is the action of refraining from compulsive eating and compulsive food behaviors while working towards or maintaining a healthy body weight. Spiritual, emotional and physical recovery is the result of living the Overeaters Anonymous Twelve-Step program.” – Overeaters Anonymous Definition of Abstinence
Use this valuable checklist every day to support keeping your abstinence strong and intact.
- Have I been abstinent today?
- Did I pray and meditate today?
- Am I maintaining or working toward a healthy body weight?
- Did I rely on my Higher Power to get or stay abstinent today?
- Is what I am currently doing working for me to remain abstinent?
- If I am having problems, have I asked someone else what they are doing?
- Have I made an OA call today?
- Did I have an attitude of gratitude today?
- Did I plan my food today?
- Have I helped someone else today?
- Did I have an action plan in place to stay abstinent today?
- Do I have a sponsor and am I working the Steps with that person?
- What is compulsive eating for me?
- What are the foods and food behaviors that trigger me to eat compulsively?
- Am I afraid to get abstinent and, if yes, why?
- Why do I think abstinence is important?
- What do I do to stop eating compulsively?
- What Steps do I take to remain abstinent in all circumstances?
- What is the difference between abstinence and a plan of eating?
- What actions do I take to maintain my abstinence and achieve or maintain a healthy body weight?
- How do I begin my day in order to abstain from compulsive eating and compulsive food behaviors?
- What Tools do I regularly use?
- How does remaining abstinent improve the quality of my life?
- What place does food have in my life today?
The Abstinence Literature Resource Guide literature is specifically helpful for obtaining and maintaining abstinence. Use literature every day to support you in keeping your abstinence, and share the list with newcomers and sponsees to help them understand and find abstinence. You may also use the list to create meeting and workshop topics. Literature can be purchased at bookstore.